Sunday, November 15, 2009

Pink stuff FAIL

"Pink Stuff" is what we call strawberry congealed salad in our family. I hate the word congealed. Anyway...
Here's a recipe for it:
Small container of Cool Whip
Small container of small curd cottage cheese
Box of strawberry Jell-o (don't make the Jell-o, just dump the powder in)
Can of fruit cocktail, drained

Mix the Jell-o powder into the cottage cheese, add the fruit cocktail, and fold in the Cool Whip. You can add nuts if you like. Sometimes I make it with orange Jell-o and mandarin oranges. You can pretty much come up with your own combination of whatever flavor Jell-o and fruit you like. Easy-peasy.
Except, somehow I messed it up. This is the email I sent to my mom-in-law last night, I thought you all might enjoy it.

Hey Mom and Dad,
I just had to share this with you cause I know you will get a kick out of it. Last night I made some "pink stuff" and it still wasn't firm by tonight. I've made it dozens of times and never had this happen. I think there was too much liquid in the cottage cheese and even though I drained the fruit cocktail, I think it had too much liquid as well. So we decided to make smoothies out of it. The texture is a little funny, but overall, not too bad. So jello salad fail = smoothies win. :-) Oh, and it's such a pretty color of pink. Love y'all lots, Crystal

To make the smoothies, I just threw a bunch of ice cubes, a little milk, and about half of the failed mixture into the blender and used the ice crush setting. I think I'm going to throw a banana in with it when I mix up the rest of it. I guess this is just one more example of how I hate to waste anything!

2 comments:

Dr. Wifey said...

hmm, i could go for one of the pink thing fail smoothies right about now!

pollicino said...

Hallo.I have visited your interesting blog.Do You want visit the my blog for an exchange visit?Grazie.
http://internapoli-city.blogspot.com/