Monday, September 15, 2008

A cake picture and some other stuff

I've been keeping pretty busy lately, but I don't want to get out of the habit of blogging again, so I thought I would write a quick one. I spent the day cooking Saturday and we had some friends over. The pot roast I made was the best one yet :-) And I made this cake. It turned out just like the picture and is honestly the best cake I have ever eaten. And that's saying something because I eat a lot of cake. If you love chocolate and peanut butter, you should try it. But only if you need to feed a bunch of people of if you want to eat it for a week because it is super rich. I've also been using my bread machine a lot lately. I made yeast rolls for dinner two nights in a row. I think Mr. McHacker would eat them at every meal if he could :-)

Yesterday was mostly spent working on a cake for a bridal shower. A friend of mine who works at the school I used to work at is getting married later this month and the ladies at the school gave her a shower today. I don't do fondant cakes very often, so I'm not very good at them yet, but I'm getting better. I never really liked the way it tastes, but I've started using a recipe for marshmallow fondant and it tastes really good. I'm sort of free to do whatever I want to most of the cakes people from the school order. They're just happy to get a good tasting cake that isn't from Wal-Mart, so they don't care if it isn't perfect. They're good to me :-) I was told to do something red, black and white. I know that Katie isn't all frilly and fru-fru so I wanted to do something that fit her style. So this is what I came up with.


I've only attempted fondant bows a couple of times, and the results were less than stellar. But I think this one turned out pretty well :-)


I was a little messing with putting it together, so I think I'll practice making a few more and hopefully get better at it. I just think bows as cake toppers are so cute. Everyone liked the cake, and that's what matters I suppose.

I volunteered at the school again today. I figure if I have to take the cake there, I might as well get there early in the day and help out where I can. It was a good day.

The folks at the school ordered a cake for the principal's birthday on Friday, so I'll be up there again this week. I've got a lot cooking and baking to do before then. I'm also making quiches for 2 of the ladies, as well as some "bake sale" type items to sell while I'm up there. It seems they like getting stuff like that to have over the weekend.

I'm going to try my hand at making homemade chicken pot pie tonight, so I'd better go get busy on that. I hope everyone had a good start to their week today, and I hope the rest of your week goes great.

9 comments:

Madeline said...

Very pretty! I love marshmallow fondant. That's what my mom uses when she does cakes. It's pretty and yummy.
If you find any yum recipes for a simple chicken pot pie do share! I love homemade chicken pot pies, but I never get around to making them.

Tassie said...

I am amazed at your culinary skills. The only contribution I make to that area is eating more than I should. The cake looks great!

Deanna said...

I have never heard of Marshmallow Fondant. That sounds good. Your cakes are delicious looking.

Homemade chicken pot pie. Mmmmmm.

Crystal said...

Thanks ladies! :-)

Confessions of A Mississippi Mom said...

The cake is beautiful, and I can imagine you are going to get a lot more orders for your culinary visions.

I hope you get more rest..

Yarni Gras! said...

what a gorgeous cake!

Buzzard Roost Babe said...

Wow, I wished you live close to me. I would order cakes from you. That bow was stellar + performance. Be very proud to be so talented. I love pot roast. I made one this weekend !!

Expat No. 3699 said...

Beautiful cake!!! Almost looks too good to eat.

Homemade chicken/turkey pot pie is one of my cold weather favorites. I usually make one whenever I have leftover turkey

Unknown said...

Beautiful job!