Friday, September 12, 2008

One.org and a nice surprise

I don't know if any of you have heard of one.org, but I thought I would take a minute to tell you about it. ONE is a humanitarian organization trying to help people in third world countries get the food and medication they desperately need. Learn more here. I figure that as much money as the US spends, it would be nice if some of it went to people who are truly in need. So I electronically "sign" every petition I get from them. I signed one today and after I did, I was asked to spread the word and email this letter to others, so I thought I would post it here.

Hi, I just signed a petition asking G8 leaders and the UN Secretary General to commit to providing the food, seed, and fertilizer necessary to help some of the world's poorest countries beat the ongoing hunger crisis. I hope that you'll join me in taking action here: http://www.one.org/un2008/?rc=un2008taf We've seen aid achieve some amazing things in recent years - like over 29 million more children in school for the first time, and over 2 million more Africans with access to AIDS medications. But we must recognize the ongoing hunger crisis for the obstacle that it is and work to overcome it if we hope to continue our success. Thanks

Here's a little more info about the petition I'm asking you to sign.
Our leaders committed to these goals and it is up to us, as Americans and ONE supporters, to make sure that America keeps its promises to the world’s most vulnerable people.

Okay, I'll step off my soapbox now. Here's the nice surprise I mentioned in the title. (Sorry the pic is not so great, it was really windy.)

Around here, wisteria usually blooms around May, it was so unusual to see it in the middle of September. I noticed these pretty little blooms when I left to get Mr. McHacker for lunch (he comes home for lunch every day). It smelled SO good! I love the smell of wisteria. I thought about picking it and putting it in my kitchen so I could smell it all day, but I decided to leave it in case someone else may get a smile from it today. :-)

3 comments:

Madeline said...

Don't you love little surprises like that! It's amazing how beautiful a late bloomer is.

Confessions of A Mississippi Mom said...

Yes the wisteria is blooming at my house too...it smells wonderful.. and attracks bees too.LOL

good post!!

Tassie said...

I love wisteria. Wish some was blooming around here.